Tuesday, October 4, 2016

JENNIFER REBECCA ORTUOSTE


I make books. Heart those books. And, usually, I develop a manuscript and then, if there's a publisher, look for an image(s) for its front cover. Well, I just received "Puñeta" by Jennifer Rebecca Ortuoste, and it is the first image for which I plan someday to create a manuscript. I love it so much I want to put it on the front of a book!

I not only love its colors but I love how Jenny subverted the art of embroidery to create such an edgy work! Y'all know what puñeta means!

I first saw  "Puñeta" through its appearance in the "Chromatext II" exhibition in Manila (Dec 2015-Jan. 2016).  I immediately ordered it, with the help of Philippine poet-novelist Krip Yuson (thanks Krip!). Anyway, I'm so happy to welcome it into la casa!  Had I done this work, by the way, I would have leaked blood drops all over it -- but La Doctora obviously is the like the rest of humanity: better than I at the domestic arts...


No comments:

Post a Comment