Thursday, September 1, 2016

COLOMBIAN ARTIST

I think of Hyperallergic's article on Matthias Buchinger, an artist born without hands or feet, when I think of this small painting on a glass mirror by a Colombian artist; I can’t decipher his name so I’m just calling him Colombian Artist. He was a street artist we discovered in Bogota when my family was down there for an adoption. He had no hands so he made his paintings with his feet. Our family watched him display his art, then chose one to bring home. I viewed the act as not a mere acquisition of art but a chance to show our child that art is important to our family and that one should support the art(tists) of one’s times. But while painting with one’s feet made the artist interesting, I also like his choice of mirrors as canvases. Because the viewer, while looking at the work, thus also sees a reflection (you see my nosy eyes below). For me, it’s like the gaze looking back at you ...



No comments:

Post a Comment