Tuesday, September 6, 2016

ROBERT LOWE & V.C. IGARTA

This post combines Robert Lowe and Venancio "V.C." Igarta simply because they are hung next to each other.  Lowe made this 3-women painting that speaks to me as regards the poetry muse, including her multiplicities. Though the iPhone camera can't capture it, the painting's figures are paradoxically solid even as the thinness of each painted layer is discernible ... which I think also says something about the craft of poetry. That's why I put the painting in my writer's studio (tho I don't use the "studio" as the poet's studio isn't a room...wait, that's a different story...anyway...) right next to a portrait that beloved Filipino manong artist V.C. Igarta gift-ed to me. In the background of V.C.'s painting is an abstract figure; I once asked V.C. about it and he replied, "It just surfaced during the painting -- I think it's your Guardian Angel." 

Both paintings hang above kris swords ... which also says something about poetry 


(V.C. Igarta)

(Robert Lowe)


(We actually have a second Robert Lowe painting but that hangs outside the house in my husband's office.)



No comments:

Post a Comment